Vishu/ Tamil New Year is near and these days people (newbie chefs like me….) go crazy searching for vegetarian recipes recalling their mom’s signature dishes over the phone or online. Sadya is the only time where we get to eat 15-16 types of curries with yummiest Payasams.. For me, grating coconut is the most difficult as well as kadupethifying task while preparing Sadya. Anyways, what’s a better time than Vishu/Onam to have this, right?
Erissery, a typical Kerala sidedish tops among the main dish in Onam Sadya. It is one of the easiest recipes and it tastes absolutely delicious. Usually, Erissery is made with pumpkin (Mathanga in Malayam; Parangikai in Tamil) and lentils with a final touch of roasted coconut and mustard tempering. You’ll find different variations of this recipe across the state with other veggies like yam (chena), raw papaya, unripe bananas/plantain (kaya) and kootu erissery (mix of veggies) too.
In this recipe, I have added Pumpkin alone. Adding roasted coconut is a real treat, together with pumpkin they taste wonderful.
Make festive occasions exceptional with this Special Pumpkin Erissery…
Cooking Time : 7 mins
Serves : 3-4
- 2 cups Pumpkin, diced
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup Coconut
- 2 Shallots
- 2 Green chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- A sprig of Curry leaves
- 2 Shallots
- 2 Red Chillies
- 1/2 cup grated Coconut
Let’s make this Pumpkin Erissery…..
- Cut pumpkin into medium pieces and cook it with little water and salt. After cooling down, mash it with a spoon and keep it aside.
- In the meanwhile, coarsely grind the ingredients listed under “to grind” without adding water.
- Pour this into the mashed pumpkin. Mix well and let it boil.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan, throw in some mustard seeds, curry leaves, shallots and red chillies. Add this seasoning to the erissery.
- Finally, add a handful of grated coconut to the same pan and fry till it becomes golden brown. Pour this over the curry.
- Now your tasty Pumpkin Eriserry is ready to serve..
- If the pumpkin is not ripe enough, then u can add 1/2 tsp of sugar. This will increase the taste.
If you like this recipe, Do not forget to rate us at the end of the post.
Did you make this recipe? If yes, do let me know how it turned out in the comments below. Do share a picture on instagram with hashtag #CookedFromHungrystomach and tag us @hungry__stomach