Do you love the ORANGE CHICKEN at Panda Express?
The sweet, sticky sauce, the crispy breading, the incredibly average, but still so satisfying, American-Chinese dining experience. Ugh… It’s so good!!
A flavourful reminiscent of the orange chicken in the comfort of your kitchen…
I’m happy to say the final version of this recipe is the best orange sauce I’ve ever tasted and it’s so easy! So give it a whirl, you’ll be the dinnertime hero.
Why do you wait for take-outs, when you can easily make it at home??
Author: Nathiya Adiseshan
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 250 grams chicken breasts (boneless)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper powder
- 1 cup Orange Juice (Freshly Squeezed)
- 1 teaspoon Orange Zest
- 1 tablespoon Ginger, grated
- ¼ cup Chicken Stock or Water
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- Oil, for frying
1. Cut chicken breasts into bite sized pieces. In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg, salt, pepper and cornstarch. Submerge chicken breast pieces in mixture and set aside.
2. In a saucepan, stir together orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce, chicken stock, brown sugar, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
3. Pour Potato starch slurry into sauce mixture and stir in until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Meanwhile, pour vegetable oil into a heavy bottom pot. Working in small batches, fry chicken pieces until cooked through and golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oil and drain it.
5. Toss fried chicken pieces together with sauce.
6. Serve immediately and garnish with spring onions.
- Potato starch can be replaced with cornflour.
- Adding orange zest in excess gives a bitter taste. So add accordingly.
- Adding chicken broth to the sauce is optional.
- Soy sauce has salt in it. If using low sodium soy sauce, add a pinch of salt if needed.
- dissolve 1 tsp potato starch in 1/4 cup of water for the potato starch slurry.
If you like this recipe, Do not forget to rate us at the end of the post.
Did you make this recipe? If yes, do let me know how it turned out in the comments below. Do share a picture on instagram with hashtag #CookedFromHungrystomach and tag us @hungry__stomach