In my hometown, ghee rice is a popular rice recipe, especially, a must dish in the banquet for any big occasions.
For the best taste and aroma, always use pure & fresh ghee or desi cow’s ghee if available.
While cooking Ghee rice, the aroma from the spices and the rice roasting in the ghee will spread all over the house in no time and everyone will be seen taking in a few deep breaths.
You can use any variety of rice to make ghee rice. I usually make with basmati rice which is not sticky and yields separate grains when cooked.
You can serve this ghee rice with Chicken Curry or any non-vegetarian gravies. You may like to try one of these.
Author: Nathiya Adiseshan
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 3 tablespoons Ghee (clarified butter)
- 15 Cashews (kaju)
- 1 tablespoon Raisins (kishmish)
- 2 Cloves
- 1/2 inch Cinnamom
- 2 Cardamom pods
- 1 cup Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2-3 Green chillies
- 1.5 cups water, add water as required
- Wash and drain the rice and keep it aside.
- Heat three teaspoons of ghee in a pan. To this, add cashew nuts and stir, till it becomes brown. Remove the cashew nuts. Repeat the procedure with raisins.
- Now add onions. Stir and cook till it turns brown. Transfer this into the plate containing fried cashew nuts and raisins.
- Take some more ghee and heat in a big vessel. Put cloves, followed by cinnamon, cardamom and ginger-garlic paste. Stir well.
- To this, add thin slices of onion and stir a bit. Add sliced green chillies.
- You may now add the rice, which has been washed, drained and kept aside. Mix well and add salt.
- Add some split pieces of bay leaf and pour water to cover the rice fully. Stir gently and close the vessel. Cook for five minutes. (If cooking in pressure cooker, cook for 7-8 minutes on medium flame).
- Fluff the rice with a fork and immediately transfer into a wide serving bowl in order to avoid clumping.
- Garnish with cashew nuts, raisins, fried onions.
- Serve hot with mutton/chicken curry or any spicy veg/non-veg dish.
If you like this recipe, Do not forget to rate us at the end of the post.
Did you make this recipe? If yes, do let me know how it turned out in the comments below. Do share a picture on instagram with hashtag #CookedFromHungrystomach and tag us @hungry__stomach