otherwise named Pulisseri or Kachiya Moru, is a Kerala style seasoned yoghurt which is served as a part of Onam sadya.
Pulisseri is a favorite summer curry in every Malayalee’s house. A variety of vegetables can be used to make this curry, including mangoes, plantains, cucumber, tomato, pineapple, and ashgourd making it such a versatile dish.
Tangy, subtly spicy, aromatic and outrightly lip-smacking curry perks up my mood every time I eat it! I usually make it when I don’t have veggies in stock or my lazy bug bites me.
This recipe is relatively simple and can be made with or without coconut. Here is how to make it with pineapple and coconut paste.
With Kerala moru curry, you can enjoy a good hearty meal with just “papadam” as accompaniment.
Author: Nathiya Adiseshan
Preparation Time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1 1/2 cup Curd, beaten with 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup Pineapple, diced
- 1/2 cup Coconut, grated
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tablespoon Chilli Powder
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 sprig of Curryleaves
How to make Moru Kachiyathu (Kerala Style Seasoned Buttermilk)
- Peel and dice the pineapple into small pieces.
- Cook pineapple with 1/2 cup of water, turmeric powder, chilly powder and salt on low flame (approx 5-7 minutes).
- Meanwhile, place coconut, ginger, green chilli, cumin seeds and turmeric powder in a mixer jar. Add little water and blend to make a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Once the pineapple is cooked well, add the coconut paste to this and bring the curry just to a boil.
- Now add the beaten yoghurt, salt and stir continuously for a few minutes minutes until it is heated through. Switch off. (Take care not to over boil the curry)
- Heat coconut oil in a pan over medium flame, add the mustard seeds, once they splutter, add red chillies and curry leaves. Turn off the flame and pour to the curry. Immediately cover with a lid, so that all the aroma stays in the curry.
- Tasty Pineapple Moru Curry is ready. Serve with matta rice and enjoy!!!
- Pineapple cooks quickly and hence ensure not to overcook it.
- Take care not to overboil the curry, else it will get curdled.
- Keep the yogurt out from the refrigerator for a couple of hours for it to become a little sour.
If you like this recipe, Do not forget to rate us at the end of the post.
Did you make this recipe? If yes, do let me know how it turned out in the comments below. Do share a picture on instagram with hashtag #CookedFromHungrystomach and tag us @hungry__stomach